Job Overview and Accountability
The Marketing Communications Specialist is responsible for internal and external communications and promotion of church activities and ministries. This position will have an emphasis on advertising, print and digital media, website maintenance, and graphic design. The Marketing Communications Specialist is accountable to the Office Manager for the provisions of this job description
- Prepare/oversee the creation of all marketing and communications materials.
- Interpret the missions and ministries of Hope Lutheran Church using social media and digital formats.
- Work with the A/V Engineer to produce electronic media (videos, etc.) to interpret the missions and ministries of Hope Lutheran Church.Manage and serve as webmaster of the church website.
- Act as chief photographer at church events.
- Maintain branding guidelines relating to logos, location names, taglines and descriptions.
- Use congregational and administrative communication tools to generate, coordinate and publish materials to promote the mission and ministries of Hope Lutheran Church.
- Lead and work closely with Communications & Marketing Team.
- Ability to promote communication within a large church through knowledge of church activities, missions and ministries.
- High degree of organization, attention to detail and level of professional conduct when communicating with ministries, church leaders, laity and the public.
- Excellent administrative skills and written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects under tight schedules and to meet deadlines and ability to solve problems.
- A team player with the willingness to build and maintain positive working relationships that support and improve personal and team effectiveness, including sharing information and assisting others.
- Ability to anticipate needs and to initiate, prioritize, create and follow through with tasks on a proactive basis.
- Willingness to create a positive work environment that is inclusive of accepting others and the willingness to receive suggestions positively to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and paper cutters.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 35 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position working 40 hour per week with consistent office hours. (or a salaried position). Benefits include sick time and holiday pay as defined in Hope Lutheran’s policies and procedures.
This position may require employee to use personal vehicle in the course of normal work. This will include traveling to more than one church campus to facilitate special event needs. Employee may be required to travel for continuing education or other training or meetings. Mileage and expense reimbursement will be provided per church policy.
- College degree in Graphics, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or another related field.
- At least 2 years prior work experience in the marketing/communications field or equivalent work experience.
- WordPress experience and web design knowledge.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint. Knowledge of InDesign and/or other graphics programs.
- Proficient in writing, editing and layout skills.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends when required.
- Valid driver’s license with proof of insurance.
- Compliance with background checks done on a regular basis as provided by the church.
- Compliance with the policies and procedures as outlined in the Hope Lutheran Employee Handbook, as amended from time to time.
Hope Lutheran Church does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any characteristic protected by law. As an expression of the church, Hope Lutheran Church may consider religious factors, including clergy or lay status, in making personnel decisions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. A separate Job Task Outline sets forth a summary of these job duties. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice,
Name:__________ Initials:___ Date:_____
Name:__________ Initials:___ Date:_____
JOB TASK OUTLINE MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
- Prepare press releases and ad copy for newspapers, magazines, television, radio, social media, etc.
- Build ad copy for newspapers, magazines, television, theater, radio, social media and other platforms.
- Photograph events; post photos to social media and the website, archive copies for future use
- Produce the weekly News in the Pews newsletter, as well as print calendars for internal office use.
- Maintain all branding guidelines including enforcing proper color profiles, CMYK/RGB values, fonts, spacing and media usage on all print and web documents.
- Prepare the Pastor’s Announcements for weekend worship.
- Solicit post event feedback on marketing/communications from members, volunteers and staff and create evaluation noting what went well and what needs improvement.
- Promote the ministries of Hope Lutheran Church using print materials, including brochures and other materials.
- Optimize the visualization of the church website through oversight/management and serve as webmaster.
- Track & analyze web statistics.
- Maintain church domain names with appropriate vendors.
- Prepare Power Point presentations for interpreting the missions and ministries of Hope Lutheran Church to be shown on a continuing loop on kiosks in the narthex and lobby.
- Prepare announcements for the sanctuary drop-down screens used prior to worship services.
- Attend staff meetings in order to be informed of all church activities.
- Stay informed on church events and be familiar with information in weekly newsletter.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.