Sisters and brothers in Christ,
“Evangelism is not what we do. Evangelism is who we are.” As disciples of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we are called to be witnesses of God’s amazing love and grace to everyone, everywhere.
Now we have been called to this wonderful community that surrounds us in the Villages and at Lake Weir. Together, we will continue to move forward in finding new and exciting ways to live out our faith by serving our neighbors. Martin Luther had reminded us that it is our duty to be Christ to our neighbors adding “God does not need your good works, but your neighbor does.”
Thank you for joining our gathering on Monday, October 15th, at Lake Weir. The energy, excitement and commitment that I have sensed in those who have gathered has filled my heart with joy. Thank you for answering the call to serve.
Over the coming months, we will launch several initiatives at our Lake Weir campus to serve and reach out to the surrounding community. Our outreach efforts will aim to meet specific needs in the community, to offer a safe place to gather and fellowship, and to “…make Christ known” in and through everything that we plan and do.
With a clear and unified vision to make Christ known and to be Christ to our neighbor, I invite each and every one of you to get involved in an outreach project that would best fit their gifts and talents. Please take a moment to select from the list below which area you would like to be involved in by responding to this email. You can choose more than one as your time allows. I will then match and create working groups based on the responses, coordinate time and place for that group to meet, and get each group to work on the project of their choosing while keeping all on the list informed of plans and progress.
Here is the list of the main areas of outreach that we will focus on over the next 6 months at LW:
- Food Pantry: Offering this ministry twice a week on-site. (Clothing & toys can be added as the need arises).
- Health-O-Rama: Addressing health related needs within the surrounding community (Flu shots, workshops on healthcare benefits, uninsured/underinsured crisis…)
- Faith Formation: Faith & Fellowship will meet Mondays at 2:00pm, open forums and opportunities for faith engagement and discussions will be created throughout the year and publicized, and making sure worship is contextual to the community.
- Music Ministry: Recruiting volunteers who would like to be part of this ministry at Lake Weir.
- Family Fun & Fellowship: Great ideas are already coming in for ways to provide a place for families to come together.
- Youth Ministry: Engaging teens, youth, and children in ministry. Providing support to help them grow in their faith.
- Community Engagement: This group will be invited to spread the word by going door to door and talking to members of the community, inviting them to church related events.
- Ministry Partners: Seeking community partners to engage in our efforts. This would include other faith-based organizations in the area, non-profit organizations, and local businesses.
These are some of the main areas of outreach that we can begin to build on. I invite you to sign up and join the movement of the Spirit in and through our mission “to know Christ and to make Christ known.”